Is your food going bad because the refrigerator is too warm? Or maybe the food is frozen solid because temperatures are too low. Regardless of your problem, this guide will show you how to adjust the temperature.
How Do You Adjust The Temperature On A GE Profile Refrigerator?
It depends on the model. Your GE Profile refrigerator will use one of the following methods:
Look for the warmer/colder pad. These controls are straightforward. Tap ‘Warmer’ to increase the temperature. The temperature will increase by one degree every time you tap this control. ‘Colder’ does the opposite. The temperature will decrease by one degree every time you tap the pad.
Don’t expect the temperature to change immediately. Don’t touch the pad for five seconds. The appliance will respond to the inactivity by locking in the new temperature.
2). Control Style A
- Find the ‘Fridge’ button and press it.
- Wait for the display to show the temperature settings.
- Press the ‘Fridge’ button again. This time, hold the button. The display will cycle through the various temperature settings. Select the setting you want.
- You can apply these instructions to the freezer. Find the ‘Freezer’ button and press it to access the current temperature settings. Use the ‘Freezer’ button to cycle through the available settings until you find the one you want.
3). Control Styles B And C
- This is similar to control style A. You access the temperature settings by pressing ‘Fridge’ or ‘Freezer.’ Holding either button allows you to cycle through the options until you find your desired setting.
4). Control Style D.
- This is similar to control styles A, B, and C. But in this case, you can press ‘Refrigerator’ or ‘Freezer.’ The display will show ‘Actual Temp.’ Holding the buttons will cycle through the settings.
This GE Appliances guide has pictures of the controls and icons. Use the guide to find the correct buttons for adjusting the temperature. You can also use your unit’s manual.
What Temperature Should My GE Profile Refrigerator Be Set At?
- The recommended temperature is 37 degrees F (Fresh Food) and 0 degrees F (Freezer).
- Don’t expect immediate results. It may take 24 hours for the refrigerator to apply your adjustments. Don’t panic simply because the refrigerator’s temperature seemingly remains unchanged.
- If you don’t know the appropriate temperature for the fridge’s contents, check the settings. GE Profile refrigerators have settings such as ‘Beverage’ and ‘Deli’ that adjust the temperature to fit specific types of food. Use these settings as a starting point. You can make further adjustments based on your observations.
- If the appliance won’t respond to temperature adjustments, you may have a faulty control board. Ask a technician to diagnose the component.
- Don’t cover the temperature sensor. This happens when you crowd your fridge. Look for the dome with slats on the ceiling above the top shelf. Make sure you haven’t obscured this component with food. Otherwise, it won’t control the cooling process like the manual promised.
- If you have doubts about the temperature, Hunker wants you to place a thermometer in the appliance. GE Appliances recommends a bulb or candy-type thermometer. Place the device in a food item. You can also use a liquid. These thermometer types will register temperatures below zero.
- You are looking for 32 – 45 degrees (Fresh Food) and -5 – +8 degrees F (Freezer) in the morning.
- Don’t be so quick to hire a technician because the GE Profile refrigerator is not cool enough. Make sure you’ve resolved the obvious problems. That includes improving ventilation by giving the appliance sufficient clearance on all sides, checking the door seals for wear, tear, damage, or poor alignment, keeping the refrigerator level, unblocking the air vents, cleaning the condenser coils, etc.
- Lower the temperature (making the fridge colder) when the appliance is full. This recommendation is just as important during the warmest months of the year. But again, don’t be afraid to experiment. Try different temperatures until you find one that works for you.
Things To Consider Before Setting Temperature On GE Profile Refrigerator
Consider The Recommended Temperatures.
Forbes thinks 37 degrees is an excellent temperature because it cools the food without freezing it.
The FDA encourages consumers to aim for 35 – 38 degrees F to keep the food as cold as possible without making ice. Naturally, the optimal temperature for the freezer is 0 degrees F.
You Are Better Off Waiting For Warm Food To Cool
Warm food is tricky. You are better off waiting for it to cool. But if you want to add significant quantities of warm food to the freezer, use the ‘Flash Freeze’ feature. It will lower the temperature for 24 hours before raising it back up. If you prefer to lower the temperature manually, make sure you raise it back to 0 degrees F or above.
Maintaining the coldest temperatures will kill your food’s flavor. It will also raise your energy bill.
Check Your Food’s Instructions.
Many manufacturers include labels on their products that recommend the best fridge and freezer temperatures. The Food and Drug Administration in the US wants consumers to refrigerate food within two hours.
Don’t leave perishables at room temperature, especially poultry, meat, and eggs. If the temperature exceeds 90 degrees F, you have one hour to refrigerate the food. On the other hand, don’t leave ready-to-eat food in the fridge for too long.
Don’t forget that mold can form in the refrigerator. Dispose of food with mildew and strange smells.
Check The Temperature After Blackouts
Blackouts are tricky because they deprive the fridge of power, which means your food will go bad. However, you don’t have to throw the food away if the power was only gone for four hours and you kept the door closed.
Don’t assume everything is fine when the power returns. Use a thermostat to check the temperature. Some blackouts can cause malfunctions. You can relax if the food is still at 40 degrees F or below.